A large majority of America’s water and wastewater systems serve small, rural communities. With 10,000 or fewer customers, operators at these small systems face unique financial, staffing, technological and training limitations that can make it difficult to comply with federal and state standards. WaterOperator.org helps communities overcome these challenges.
The mobile-friendly web portal includes technical documents, information on training opportunities and more from hundreds of state, tribal and federal agencies, industry groups and universities. Materials are indexed and include links to original sources to make it easy to find the right information quickly.
- Delivered 20 WaterOperator.org newsletters in 10 months to more than 15,000 subscribers.
- Sent 10 newsletters tailored for tribal systems to nearly 400 operators, technical advisors and agency officials as of October.
- Added roughly 300 manuals, fact sheets, presentations and other industry resources to the searchable documents database.
- Launched two videos to help visitors navigate the site more effectively.
- Entered approximately 9,000 webinars, conferences and other training events to the events calendar.
WaterOperator.org is jointly operated by the Illinois State Water Survey, the Illinois Water Resources Center and the University of Illinois at Urbana- Champaign. Funding comes from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the Rural Community Assistance Partnership and the Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium.